Murray won because we weren’t there –Grandparents


Murray
Andy Murray’s grandparents have said their grandson  won  his first Wimbledon title on Sunday because they were not  at Centre Court.
Murray’s victory  ended Britain’s 77-year wait for a men’s champion with a hard-fought victory over world number one Novak Djokovic.

The Scot, 26, converted his fourth championship point in a dramatic final game to win 6-4 7-5 6-4 and claim his second major title.
After collecting the trophy the tennis ace picked up the phone to Roy and Shirley Erskine, who opted to watch the final at home in Dunblane, after Shirley broke her leg recently.
The 79-year-old managed to “hobble down” to the local tennis club with Roy, 81, after the match, where they were met with a huge cheer.
Mrs Erskine said, “Every year we had gone to Wimbledon. We had been there for the last six or seven years and what happens this year? He wins!
“I said to him on the phone just now, ‘That’s because we’re not there, we must be the jinx’, you see. And he said ‘Oh, gran. I missed you’.”
Mr Erskine added, “I just said, ‘well done, you did so well’. It’s just fantastic. We watched it in the living room and had a big hug when he won.
“We shot out of the chair as quickly as old folk shoot out of chairs.”
Andy’s gran also revealed that she sent a fresh batch of her homemade shortbread to him when he ran out the day before the final.
“My eldest son flew down this morning with it,” explained Mrs Erskine. “My other son, who’s been down there all week, said, ‘Right gran we need another tin of shortbread, it’s long since gone’.
“So I went into the cupboard and started baking.
“I knew my son was coming in on his way home from work, so I thought if I can make it on time, he’ll take it down. So, one of my daughters-in-law has a lovely picture of Andy eating my shortbread.”
Mr and Mrs Erskine enjoyed a glass of wine with revellers at the tennis club as car horns were heard and locals spilled out of pubs to begin an impromptu street party as a piper played.
Mrs Erskine said,  “I just feel completely elated. I’m thrilled for him. I’m thrilled for Judy, (Andy’s mother) Ivan and all the team because they’ve put so much into it. And Andy’s worked so hard for it. He deserved it. He’s done everything he’s told.”
Mr Erskine added,  “To me the beauty of him winning was that he played so well. If he plays “well he’ll win most of his matches, but he’s got to play well.
Today was big hitting and his timing was immaculate.”
Andy’s lifelong friend Craig McGann, 29, arrived at the club and Mrs Erskine threw her arms around him.
Choking back tears, he said, “Andrew is such a gentleman and he was a member here. He’s done great things for the town. I’m really proud to say that I know him.
“I was down there a month ago and he took me behind the scenes to show me the Wimbledon backdrop and I said to him, ‘I was in New York just before you won (the US Open) and now I’m here, so maybe it’s a good omen.
“I’m so pleased for him and so proud. I watched it all in the clubhouse. I can’t stop shaking.”
Tennis convener at Dunblane Sports Club Fiona Bennie, who is a friend of Andy’s mother, said, “I’m ecstatic. It’s absolutely fantastic. Everybody is celebrating.
It’s really unbelievable. The biggest tennis championship in the world and he’s won it and he’s from Dunblane.
“He started off here when he was three. Both boys were great tennis players. Judy was a great tennis player. And his grandmother, who is up on the board as having won the club championship.
“You saw Judy on the television, crying her eyes out. And that’s what it means to her. She’s put so much into her boys in the last 20 years and for Andy to win Wimbledon, it’s just great.”
Peter Gordon, tennis development manager at Tennis Scotland, who was at the club in Dunblane to watch the final, added, “It means a great deal to the family. I think Judy was living every point.”

Murray won because we weren’t there –Grandparents Murray won because we weren’t there –Grandparents Reviewed by Unknown on 06:37 Rating: 5

No comments:

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed in comments are those of the comment writers alone and does not reflect or represent the views of Admin

Slider

Powered by Blogger.